Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lose Weight with Spiritual Practice (Seriously)


Ever since my "Lint" in January
, I've been wanting to write a follow-up post about the benefits of Spiritual Practice. Prayer, meditation, fasting, self-denial --I find that practicing these types of things allows my mind to turn away from myself and be guided more clearly by God. Here, you can also insert Divine, Universe, Love, Holy, Allah, Jesus, Flying Spaghetti Monser, whatever you choose. I don't really quibble with the names people have for the force that created and flows through the universe. 
The point of Spiritual Practice is not, to me, to "tap into" God. The point of Spiritual Practice is to create a channel, an open space, that allows God to tap into me. Prayer, meditation, service, worship are all wonderful ways to do this. But sometimes it's really helpful to do a little more, to become a pilgrim for a time. I suppose that's why some type of Spiritual Practice is a component of every major world religion. Since I was raised Catholic, I found it very natural for me to pattern my own pilgrimage of the soul on the Lenten practice of abstention and reflection. It is a way to honor my roots but not be bound by them.


One reason it has taken so long to write this is my seeming inability to nail down specific benefits. This all sounds great, but is it really helpful? Is it worthwhile? My answer is certainly yes, but if pressed, I am general: clarity of thought, a new perspective on my journey....and then I realized that I'd made at least one specific change directly as a result of my spiritual focus during Lint. I changed how I approach exercise.

I've somehow finally grown to realize that it is a lot easier for me to incorporate something into my daily routine -- to make it a true habit -- if I start small. I resolved to forget about trying to find the perfect hour-long exercise routing to fit into my day, and then struggling to find the hour to exercise...at home...with two kids under five. My goal was only to Exercise Every Day.

At first, I thought I'd do 30 minutes a day, which I didn't do at all. Enter Zen Habits, a blog I really find inspiring, and the idea of starting with only five minutes a day. It did not escape my notice that five minutes a day would be better than the nothing I was doing currently.



Now, in August? It is rare that a day passes without me engaging in at least five minutes of exercise. Most days I get in 10-20 in 5- and 10-minute increments. It's not a lot. But it is certainly better than nothing and it is a great example of how little changes can make a big difference. I've lost 15 pounds since January and my energy levels are higher than they've been in a long time. I'm gradually increasing my weekly average "workout" time, but my only goal is still to exercise at least five minutes a day. Well, that and do a pullup unassisted, something I have never been able to do.



Spiritual Practice is my way of listening to that still, small voice. And that voice is not one of judgment or condemnation at my weakness. It is a voice of Love and Compassion urging me to have the courage to find the way that works best for me. And now I'm going to urge you to start small on that next new habit you think could change your life.

Peace Be With You.

Pictures were taken in Franconia Notch State Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tag Cloud

Make Your Own simplify Easy garden Inside My Fridge Living on Less recipes food frugal Live Well meal plan Tennessee Edible Landscaping Kitchen Garden organic Garden Tour Spring flowers Real American Food Use It All change vegetables Dinner Grow Your Own grow tomatoes Life Love Summer greens kids Family dinner recipes explore gift seeds Companion Plants Lettuce Reality Sink Saving Seeds bread freezer garlic squash Fall Inspiration Special Try It and See emotion moderation planting quick reduce Art Artisan Bread Beauty CSA Celebrations Cool Beverages Cucumber Experiment Featured Flood Sheet Mulch Small Changes Tea craft fruit reuse soup stock waste yogurt "sometimes food" Amaryllis Becky's Favorite Things Bloody Mary Blueberries Books Cabbage Chard Connections Date Night Edible Flowers Family Dinner Jacob's Ladder Lint No-till Organize Read Real Life TN Native Plant Trash Day Use the Oven Winter black-eyed susan chicken crock pot daily reminder essential oil garden pests kale leftovers permaculture plastic pork potatoes recycle rudbeckia seedling stir-fry strawberries swale trash vegetarian volunteer A-frame Authentic Authentic2 Bacon Baking Fail Better Homemade Body Balm Breakfast Build Soil Butter Carrots Chives Chocolate Milk Chocolate Syrup Christmas Clean Cookbook Review Crock Pot Bread Eat Local Faith Fire Cider Food as Medicine GM foods GMO Ginger HFCS Health Holy Honeysuckle Hot Cocoa Household cleaner Hydrangea Icebox Pickles Iced Mocha Immune Booster Iris Kitchen Sink Lent Life Notes Monsanto Morning Sink My Neighbor's Garden Pickles Placating with Plating PlantEaters Propagating Geraniums Sacred Salvia Leucantha School Lunch Sewing Slow Cooker Bread Slow Cooker Fail Spiderwort Spinach Spiritual Practice Spring roll Sprouts Thanksgiving Time-saving Tips Tincture Turkey Turmeric Victory Garden Vodka Water Kefir What Chefs Feed Their Kids basil bento berm birthday borage brassica broccoli cabbage worm cake canned tomatoes chili coconut compost dessert discipline eggplant eggplant parmesan fennel flour food waste frosting gluten green beans greenhouse grocery healthy hair healthy scalp hornworm hugelkultur icing knead kneading kohlrabi landfill lasagna garden nasturtium natural hair wash no poo pancakes parsley patience pests pizza plantain potager processed sangria seed pot smoothie standing desk substitute for dill tarragon teacher appreciation teacher gift vegan water window crayons yeast

Eat Locally!