Friday, January 14, 2011

Ruthlessly Purge Your Cookbook

Everyone should have a collection of "Tried and True Recipes"
It's funny how your favorite "go to" recipes can change.  I finally started my own recipe collection a few years ago and it had literally exploded out of its binder of late, despite repeated applications of duct tape.  I had been putting off purging and reorganizing because I couldn't find a replacement binder.  Mine has a little flap on the front that makes it easy to change the "cover page" and I use that to place the recipe I'm using so it doesn't get splatters or spills on it. After approximately two years of fruitless searches in various office supply stores, I remembered that we live in the Age of the Internet and found an exact replacement at Amazon.com.

Wilson-Jones "Smart View" Binder
The last time I reorganized my recipes was four years ago when I recognized a need to move away  from the time-intensive, fancy (and costly) meals that were a hallmark of our days as Childless Newlyweds. Ah memories of Friday nights with courses and cocktails! That first cookbook was organized primarily by main protein (Pork, Chicken, Beef, Fish, Vegetarian) and I don't search for meal ideas that way anymore.  Instead of looking for recipe ideas and then buying ingredients, I tend to look at what we have on hand and what we've gotten from our CSA and create meal plans around that.


I love making piles.

So, I pulled out my recipes and began to sort them into eight piles, grouping together things that seemed most alike and  tossing anything I hadn't made recently or didn't care to make any more.  A lot of recipes including "cream of" went into the recycle bin!  I continued to reshuffle things until I had eight piles that were roughly the same size.  I ended up with Soup, Veggie Main Dishes, Easy Meat/Slow Cook, Breads & Muffins, Summer, Winter, Apps & Desserts, and Holiday & Gifts.


Use Scotch tape to easily change categories when the need arises.
See that duct tape holding the old book together?  I should have taken a picture of the front -- it was more duct tape than binder.  One bit of foresight I had when I began my own Recipe Binder was to put a bit of Scotch tape on the main category page.  When changing categories I didn't have to toss the fully functional divider pages; instead I just pulled off the tape, put some new on there and wrote in new categories.

The interior pockets are used for the few recipes I have printed on cards that I'm too lazy to re-type and for recipes that I want to try but haven't yet.  Take a look at your own favorite recipes.  If the book is too full of things that are too complicated or have the wrong ingredients, you'll never use it.  Purge and organize to make it an easily-accessed source of inspiration for healthy and tasty meals!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I need to do this again. My side pockets are overflowing and I know there are recipes I should remove.

    I also love the comment on your picture that says "I love making piles." Yes. Sadly, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just weeded out my recipe binder (where I keep recipes from magazines, the internet, any stuff I copy from library books - shhhh!), and like you got rid of anything with too many ingredients or steps or took too long to make.

    One thing I'd like to do this year is compile all of our favorite recipes (from cookbooks and loose sheets) in one place. There are some website where you can create your own cookbook, and I'm thinking about using that for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I have long intended to make a binder but found a box easier for me to manage. I keep two... one filled with favorites and the other, things to try. If I try something new and we love it, I move that card over to the new box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use a binder vs. card box because I print out a lot of recipes from web sites (and tear some from magazines) and then make my notes on them. I am much too lazy, um, I mean BUSY, to re-write recipes on cards.

    I have thought of trying to find an online spot to compile recipes (I have a few sites bookmarked), but don't think it's something I'd keep up with at this point. Jennie, if you share your sites, I'll share mine.

    ReplyDelete

Tag Cloud

Make Your Own simplify Easy garden Inside My Fridge Living on Less recipes food frugal Live Well meal plan Tennessee Edible Landscaping Kitchen Garden organic Garden Tour Spring flowers Real American Food Use It All change vegetables Dinner Grow Your Own grow tomatoes Life Love Summer greens kids Family dinner recipes explore gift seeds Companion Plants Lettuce Reality Sink Saving Seeds bread freezer garlic squash Fall Inspiration Special Try It and See emotion moderation planting quick reduce Art Artisan Bread Beauty CSA Celebrations Cool Beverages Cucumber Experiment Featured Flood Sheet Mulch Small Changes Tea craft fruit reuse soup stock waste yogurt "sometimes food" Amaryllis Becky's Favorite Things Bloody Mary Blueberries Books Cabbage Chard Connections Date Night Edible Flowers Family Dinner Jacob's Ladder Lint No-till Organize Read Real Life TN Native Plant Trash Day Use the Oven Winter black-eyed susan chicken crock pot daily reminder essential oil garden pests kale leftovers permaculture plastic pork potatoes recycle rudbeckia seedling stir-fry strawberries swale trash vegetarian volunteer A-frame Authentic Authentic2 Bacon Baking Fail Better Homemade Body Balm Breakfast Build Soil Butter Carrots Chives Chocolate Milk Chocolate Syrup Christmas Clean Cookbook Review Crock Pot Bread Eat Local Faith Fire Cider Food as Medicine GM foods GMO Ginger HFCS Health Holy Honeysuckle Hot Cocoa Household cleaner Hydrangea Icebox Pickles Iced Mocha Immune Booster Iris Kitchen Sink Lent Life Notes Monsanto Morning Sink My Neighbor's Garden Pickles Placating with Plating PlantEaters Propagating Geraniums Sacred Salvia Leucantha School Lunch Sewing Slow Cooker Bread Slow Cooker Fail Spiderwort Spinach Spiritual Practice Spring roll Sprouts Thanksgiving Time-saving Tips Tincture Turkey Turmeric Victory Garden Vodka Water Kefir What Chefs Feed Their Kids basil bento berm birthday borage brassica broccoli cabbage worm cake canned tomatoes chili coconut compost dessert discipline eggplant eggplant parmesan fennel flour food waste frosting gluten green beans greenhouse grocery healthy hair healthy scalp hornworm hugelkultur icing knead kneading kohlrabi landfill lasagna garden nasturtium natural hair wash no poo pancakes parsley patience pests pizza plantain potager processed sangria seed pot smoothie standing desk substitute for dill tarragon teacher appreciation teacher gift vegan water window crayons yeast

Eat Locally!