Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chill Out

So if you've ever wondered "just how far south of Sunnybrook are you there, Becky?" I'll tell you I'm roughly 1,100 miles south of Maine (as the crow flies), smack dab in the middle of Tennessee, a beautiful and friendly place to live as long as you can appreciate a bit of heat and humidity. I grew up in West Tennessee (even more humid) in a house with one window a/c unit in the dining room that was only turned on for company. I've made my peace with humidity. 

Now yes, of course, I do use a/c, though I try to avoid it as much as possible because I hate being closed in where I'm insulated and can't even hear the rest of the world. Cool air in summer is a wonderful and amazing thing, but I wonder how much it accounts for kids playing outside less...for all of us being outside less, which means being less connected with the natural world. When I was a kid, it was often cooler outside once you hit the high 90s and I wouldn't be closed up in a muggy house for anything.


Cold-brewed green/mint teas
Whether I'm indoors or out, I like a little caffeine in the afternoons. In the winter, I enjoy coffee or tea, but in the summer I need something cold. I do really like iced coffee, but only really strong, freshly-brewed coffee and that's just too fussy for a quick afternoon beverage. 

Enter the cold-brewed green tea. Cold brewing renders a very smooth, drinkable tea and with no heating necessary, it's perfect for summer. Put tea bags in pitcher. Fill with water. Place in refrigerator overnight. Remove tea bags. Enjoy tea. I put five green tea bags and one mint tea bag in this batch and the result is smooth and intensely refreshing. 


Now, being indeed South of Sunnybrook, I have to agree with my friend Julie Ingrum, who knowingly asserts "there is only one way to properly sweeten tea and that is in the brewing process." I agree with her and when I make "Sweet Tea", even in summer I will brew it on the stove, but obviously you can't sweeten cold-brewed tea the same way. Now, I think the cold-brewed green tea is great straight and I drank it that way all last summer. But I'm hooked on something else now.

One day when my 4-year-old wasn't feeling well, we snuggled up on the couch and watched Laura Calder make this lovely citrus simple syrup on television. It's really easy to make and I add a bit to my green tea now. I can also make fresh, homemade lemonade on demand if I have some of this pretty simple syrup in my fridge and who doesn't love that? 

Citrus zest pretties up a sunny lemon simple syrup.
My sister adds thyme to her simple syrup and you can add other herbs (my friend Mary Alice adds mint and more in her delicious natural concoctions). I'm a lover of color myself, and I just really like the lovely bright yellow color this syrup gets from the lemon zest. It makes me happy to see it in my refrigerator. I can add herbage in my glass if I want some.

Try one or both of these this summer and let me know if you love this simple pleasure as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tag Cloud

Make Your Own simplify Easy garden Inside My Fridge Living on Less recipes food frugal Live Well meal plan Tennessee Edible Landscaping Kitchen Garden organic Garden Tour Spring flowers Real American Food Use It All change vegetables Dinner Grow Your Own grow tomatoes Life Love Summer greens kids Family dinner recipes explore gift seeds Companion Plants Lettuce Reality Sink Saving Seeds bread freezer garlic squash Fall Inspiration Special Try It and See emotion moderation planting quick reduce Art Artisan Bread Beauty CSA Celebrations Cool Beverages Cucumber Experiment Featured Flood Sheet Mulch Small Changes Tea craft fruit reuse soup stock waste yogurt "sometimes food" Amaryllis Becky's Favorite Things Bloody Mary Blueberries Books Cabbage Chard Connections Date Night Edible Flowers Family Dinner Jacob's Ladder Lint No-till Organize Read Real Life TN Native Plant Trash Day Use the Oven Winter black-eyed susan chicken crock pot daily reminder essential oil garden pests kale leftovers permaculture plastic pork potatoes recycle rudbeckia seedling stir-fry strawberries swale trash vegetarian volunteer A-frame Authentic Authentic2 Bacon Baking Fail Better Homemade Body Balm Breakfast Build Soil Butter Carrots Chives Chocolate Milk Chocolate Syrup Christmas Clean Cookbook Review Crock Pot Bread Eat Local Faith Fire Cider Food as Medicine GM foods GMO Ginger HFCS Health Holy Honeysuckle Hot Cocoa Household cleaner Hydrangea Icebox Pickles Iced Mocha Immune Booster Iris Kitchen Sink Lent Life Notes Monsanto Morning Sink My Neighbor's Garden Pickles Placating with Plating PlantEaters Propagating Geraniums Sacred Salvia Leucantha School Lunch Sewing Slow Cooker Bread Slow Cooker Fail Spiderwort Spinach Spiritual Practice Spring roll Sprouts Thanksgiving Time-saving Tips Tincture Turkey Turmeric Victory Garden Vodka Water Kefir What Chefs Feed Their Kids basil bento berm birthday borage brassica broccoli cabbage worm cake canned tomatoes chili coconut compost dessert discipline eggplant eggplant parmesan fennel flour food waste frosting gluten green beans greenhouse grocery healthy hair healthy scalp hornworm hugelkultur icing knead kneading kohlrabi landfill lasagna garden nasturtium natural hair wash no poo pancakes parsley patience pests pizza plantain potager processed sangria seed pot smoothie standing desk substitute for dill tarragon teacher appreciation teacher gift vegan water window crayons yeast

Eat Locally!