Thursday, April 21, 2011

Sustainable Reading

When Bel at Green out Every Window invited me to participate in the Earth Day Reading Project, I loved the idea immediately. Share three books that have most inspired you to choose to live more sustainably. Fiction, nonfiction, graphic novel....it's all about what has made motivated you to turn ideas into actions. Full rules and a great list of gardening blogs can be found here at The Sage Butterfly.


Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life (P.S.)


Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver inspired me to action almost immediately.  We had begun to garden and had a compost bin. We were buying less "processed crap" with all the coloring, additives and packaging, but weren't quite sure what else we really could do. After all, we live in the suburbs...it's not like we can feed ourselves from this tiny bit of earth, right? Within a year of reading this book, I realized the power that comes from reconnecting with our food sources. I love Kingsolver's fiction, but her sharing of her family's commitment to eat only locally for an entire year (no bananas!) changed how I think about food.


Kitchen Garden Planner (Country Home)

I picked up a copy of the Kitchen Garden Planner at a bookstore's going out of business sale. We lived down in Florida and had asked (and received) permission to plant a small garden plot in the back yard of our rental. I dreamed of what I might do with a home and yard and garden of my own. As it turns out, I plant squash in the flowerbeds. All of my planted space is a kitchen garden, each year more beautiful and each year more edible.


Gnomes

I know, I know. Insert joke about garden gnomes here. But the interior of this book is filled with amazing illustrations detailing the many ways sentient being  might live in harmony with nature, might balance needs of self with needs of the system of which we are all part. When I was a child, I discovered this book next to a rocking chair in my grandmother's guest room. She had placed it there purposely so a little girl weary of grownup conversation might find some magic with which to amuse herself. Whenever I harvest herbs, I think of the gnomes in this book. If I ever make my own dandelion root tea (not unlikely, these days), I will credit this book for the inspiration. 

So that's three. I considered including Bill McKibben's Eaarth, for its influence on my planning and thinking, but there is no action yet I can directly attribute to reading the book. Square Foot Gardening was also a strong contender for the Top Three, because he makes it easy to get started with gardening no matter where you live. I appreciate that he thinks growing things should be mostly fun.

5 comments:

  1. Becky, I found your blog through Bel at Green Out Every Window. I thought about putting Animal, Vegetable, Miracle on my list too; it's such an inspiring book. I got the garden gnomes book as a Christmas gift and haven't really looked at it yet; thanks for the push. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,these look like great books. I am especially intrigued by Animal, Vegetable, Mineral. And though I just bought my first book on vegetable gardening (this will be my first year to really give it a go) your Kitchen Garden Planner sounds even better. And the gnomes book looks fascinating. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am constantly amazed at what people select for this project. I simply love the idea of including the Gnomes book. We are all inspired in so many different ways, and there does not have to be a direct route. And I want to read Kitchen Garden Planner...it sounds as if it is filled with some great ideas. Thank you for participating in The Earth Day Reading Project and Happy Earth Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I managed to pull it off! Though I definitely broke the "book" part of the rule...thanks for the push to post again. I've been needing to start posting again (took a break thanks to morning sickness), so hopefully this will get the ball rolling--slowly, but rolling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, I have a book and two PEOPLE to credit (hey, if you can credit gnomes, I can credit real people, right?).

    The last super-inspiring book I read was "Green Chic: Saving the Earth in Style." This was a fantastic book about how to be greener in your everyday living. It covers everything from makeup to laundry soap to vehicle emissions to food. The author is never preachy and reminds us all that even if we are able only to take small steps to change, it's still a step in the right direction. A short read but with an amazing array of information and suggestions.

    Here's a list of new things this book has inspired me to do:
    Use much less paper toweling, opting to cut up a few old t-shirts instead;
    Sworn off paper napkins and using cloth ones;
    Made "Becky's All-Purpose Household Cleaner" for myself and as a housewarming gift for a friend, plus shared the recipe with at least a dozen other friends;
    Re-use envelopes for my grocery lists;
    Washing (all but my bed sheets) in cold water;
    Switched to organic fair-trade coffee (searching for shade grown, as well, but finding it difficult to source in a small country...);
    I'm sure there's more but my post is already getting looooong!

    OK, now I'm reminded of a second book after thinking fashion + sustainability. Second Time Cool: The Art of Chopping Up a Sweater. This book is so much fun and perfect for anyone who, like me, finds themselves unable to part with a favorite sweater that has ended up in the back of the closet because it no longer fits, it's getting a bit stretched out, or it's just not quite in style anymore. Give it a new life, a new purpose!! It's the ultimate in recycling and provides some fun and funky inspiration from the three cool chicks who wrote the book. They even teach you how to felt wool pieces, and show you how to add decorative elements such as blanket stitching around edges, adding applique, and more.

    This book has inspired me to re-design and re-purpose my better sweaters, and
    wash my wool sweaters in hot water to shrink them for felting projects.

    Lastly, the two women that inspired me were my mother and her mother, although it happened rather latently! When I was growing up, during the summer school breaks, my brother and I were required to walk to Grandma's house about a mile away every day and help her in the garden. She had an amazing green thumb and a prolific garden of flowers and edibles to show for it.

    I didn't especially enjoy the work, nor did I feel inspired to start my own garden. Mum also had a garden at home, much smaller in size, thankfully, so I was required to help out there on the weekends, too.

    Ironically, many years later I worked as an editor for a gardening magazine and became so inspired by what I was reading that I started my own potted garden on the deck outside my apartment. At one stage I had more than 100 terra cotta pots overflowing with all sorts of pretties and some edibles, too. My upstairs neighbor said she loved looking down on my colorful garden (she had a direct view as she no deck) and feeling like she was in another world, not the urban jungle we lived in.

    Now, so many years later, I appreciate anything that's homegrown or homemade! It's therapeutic, it's heart-felt and good for the soul, if it's edible it's much more delicious and nutritious, and it's great for the planet.

    Sorry for the book...

    ReplyDelete

Tag Cloud

Make Your Own simplify Easy garden Inside My Fridge Living on Less recipes food frugal Live Well meal plan Tennessee Edible Landscaping Kitchen Garden organic Garden Tour Spring flowers Real American Food Use It All change vegetables Dinner Grow Your Own grow tomatoes Life Love Summer greens kids Family dinner recipes explore gift seeds Companion Plants Lettuce Reality Sink Saving Seeds bread freezer garlic squash Fall Inspiration Special Try It and See emotion moderation planting quick reduce Art Artisan Bread Beauty CSA Celebrations Cool Beverages Cucumber Experiment Featured Flood Sheet Mulch Small Changes Tea craft fruit reuse soup stock waste yogurt "sometimes food" Amaryllis Becky's Favorite Things Bloody Mary Blueberries Books Cabbage Chard Connections Date Night Edible Flowers Family Dinner Jacob's Ladder Lint No-till Organize Read Real Life TN Native Plant Trash Day Use the Oven Winter black-eyed susan chicken crock pot daily reminder essential oil garden pests kale leftovers permaculture plastic pork potatoes recycle rudbeckia seedling stir-fry strawberries swale trash vegetarian volunteer A-frame Authentic Authentic2 Bacon Baking Fail Better Homemade Body Balm Breakfast Build Soil Butter Carrots Chives Chocolate Milk Chocolate Syrup Christmas Clean Cookbook Review Crock Pot Bread Eat Local Faith Fire Cider Food as Medicine GM foods GMO Ginger HFCS Health Holy Honeysuckle Hot Cocoa Household cleaner Hydrangea Icebox Pickles Iced Mocha Immune Booster Iris Kitchen Sink Lent Life Notes Monsanto Morning Sink My Neighbor's Garden Pickles Placating with Plating PlantEaters Propagating Geraniums Sacred Salvia Leucantha School Lunch Sewing Slow Cooker Bread Slow Cooker Fail Spiderwort Spinach Spiritual Practice Spring roll Sprouts Thanksgiving Time-saving Tips Tincture Turkey Turmeric Victory Garden Vodka Water Kefir What Chefs Feed Their Kids basil bento berm birthday borage brassica broccoli cabbage worm cake canned tomatoes chili coconut compost dessert discipline eggplant eggplant parmesan fennel flour food waste frosting gluten green beans greenhouse grocery healthy hair healthy scalp hornworm hugelkultur icing knead kneading kohlrabi landfill lasagna garden nasturtium natural hair wash no poo pancakes parsley patience pests pizza plantain potager processed sangria seed pot smoothie standing desk substitute for dill tarragon teacher appreciation teacher gift vegan water window crayons yeast

Eat Locally!